Wednesday, November 27, 2019

The Thanksgiving Poem

Holidays can be hard. Please take the time to breathe, to select your battles, Walk away from whatever is not healthy for you. Try to take care of yourselves this season. Don't try to have a storybook season, where everyone is standing around the tree, just being perfect. You cannot engineer what you see in the movies. It is alright if something you cook comes out poorly. If there is an individual or individuals you know push your buttons, it is perfectly acceptable to avoid them. Guilt feelings and angst are not valid reasons to punish yourself. Remember, it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, so don't let that tiny voice that is pushing you into a bad situation influence you. You owe it to yourself to not do anything that is self destructive. DO enjoy that beauty. Enjoy all you can. Don't let anyone project their issues on you, as well as you should not project your issues on anyone else. Really think before you blurt. Make sure you are perceiving the situations accurately. You will be better for it at the end of the season.


For the first time in at least 8 years our family is not celebrating with a big dinner or guests. We are opting out this time, in order to avoid a lot of pain and suffering of the preparation, anxiety, and all that comes with trying to have a perfect holiday.

I encourage all of you to think about what you are grateful for this year. Gratefulness is healing. For me, a small oasis of peace, joy and reflection on all that is good in my life can erase a lot of the damage caused by life's continual challenges.

With that, please enjoy the poem I wrote several years ago, I wish you all a very warm and Happy Thanksgiving and holiday season.



      Ode To Thanksgiving

      'Twas the morning of Thanksgiving,
      And all through my house.
      You can hear lots of screaming from me and my spouse.
      From inside the kitchen with groceries to spare.
      We argued and fought over how to prepare.

      The guests will be coming,
      Expecting our best.
      The food won't be ready
      And our house is a mess.

      When on top of the stove, the yams made a splatter,
      And Dessy came running, to see what was the matter.
      The potatoes were flying, as I started to mash,
      then fell on the floor and into the trash.

      The bread won't be made, cause I messed up the dough
      and the stuffing is runny, why I don't know.
      When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
      But a miniature wife, and I shuddered in fear

      With a gleam in her eyes, and armed with a stick,
      I knew in a moment it's my butt she would kick.
      She drew in a deep breath, I quivered in shame,
      She shouted , and heckled, then bellowed my name!

      Get out of my kitchen, you're just in the way.
      I can't stand your face for even one more day.
      Cut carrots,
      Chop Celery,
      Slice onion,  and ham.
      Make Gravy,
      Do it your way,
      I don't give a damn.

      As the yelling subsided, I wished I could die,
      My little boy shuddered and started to cry.
      Then mommy took over, I ran in fear,
      I hid in the basement and sipped on a beer.

      And then, in a twinkling, I heard a crash on the floor,
      Then wailing and crying and a slamming front door.
      I went to the kitchen to find no one there,
      The mess that had happened was too much to bear

      I laughed when I saw it, the food on the shelf!
      We're out of time, I said to myself.
      I thought for a moment, "This isn't so bad,
      Let's go have dinner with my mom and my dad

      We drove to their house, and told them the deal,
      and begged them to let us come in for a meal.

      Mom spoke not a word, Dad had a big smirk,
      And said to my face that I was a big jerk.
      He then thumbed his nose and slammed the door shut,
      I looked at Josh and Dessy and said "Now what?"

      She suddenly smiled, and said "I know a way!"
      And away we all went to the Country Buffet.
      We all ate our fill, for $ seven ninety nine,
      Then went back to the house for a cheap glass of wine.

      As we fell asleep on the sofa, a voice yelled out in the night,

      "Happy Thanksgiving to all to all, and to all a big fight!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Project - First Things First

I have had a problem all my life with not letting go of anything. I have learned that my family name actually translates from Belgian to &qu...